Saturday, February 11, 2012

Indie Author Of The Week!

I am proud to introduce Mr. Gaiven Clairmont as our first Indie Author here at Autum's Bitchin' Book Reviews!! We are going to have a awesome interview with him and then if you have any questions or comments please comment below!

Where are you from?

I'm from the island of Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean, an island with a population of about 1.3 million people who make up a kaleidoscope of cultures and a blend of ethnicities, we're the most southern island in the Caribbean just off the coast of Venezeula.

Tell us your latest news?

Well I recently released my first novel, an erotic thriller entitled Reality, Dreams and Nightmares as an ebook on January 20th 2012.

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing in my teens around 16, I started off with poems first then short stories, I'd fallen in love with a girl so most of my work was along the themes of romance (not erotica though). I stopped when I was about 17 after I lost all my work on my computer and floppy disks. 

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

It was when I started back writing when I was 23, I realised I had a passion for it and the following year when I turned 24 I really this was what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing

What inspired you to write your first book?

Well it wasn't one specific theme which inspired it, it was more about the fact that I wanted to show myself I could finish something I started. In 2011 I started about 6 novels some erotic some non erotic, but I couldn't seem to finish them for one reason or the other. Finally with Reality, Dreams and Nightmares I was able to see the novel through to the end, so it was more my motivation to prove I was indeed a writer and I was indeed born to this which inspired my first book.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Yes I do actually, because of my back ground in poetry I tend to have a more poetic style of writing, whether it be love scenes or not I try to keep that style consistently throughout my writing and it's especially evident in my first novel. I also have a collection of erotic stories, but it's a little less evident there I must admit.

How did you come up with the title?

Well it was when I was midway between the book, due to the slightly mysterious nature of the book as it being a suspense as well as an erotica. I thought Reality, Dreams and Nightmares was the perfect title for it as the book is based on a dream which when it's found out to be a reality turns out to be a nightmare for the main character.


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Well there are a few undertones in the book like issues dealing with love in terms of how much can you love a person, also the elements of love like passion, trust and forgiveness.

How much of the book is realistic?

None actually it's 100% fictional.

What books have most influenced your life most?

Hmm it would have to be The Chrysalids by John Wyndam, The Last Don and The Godfather by Mario Puzo, The Almonds and Raisins Trilogy by Massie Moscoe and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Well I'd want to narrow it down to three like Paulo Coelho because his work is so inspirational and poetic, John Grisham for his ability to tell engaging stories and Eric Jerome Dickey because his blend of poetry, suspense and erotica is unparalleled in the literary field.
But if I had to choose one it would be Eric Jerome Dickey I think he's a truly special writer.

What book are you reading now?

I'm reading By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho.


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Yes actually there are a couple the author of this book I just finished reading entitled Divergent, then there's also some urban writers like Imani True co-author of Strawberries, Stilletos and Steam and A Little Sumthing Sumthing, Red Snapper an urban author with several titles to his name from erotic to the paranormal, and Tabriel Kins author of Love Storms just to name a few.

What are your current projects?

Well write now I'm in the process of putting together an anthology of inspirational stories and poetry as well as I'm working on my second novel a poetic look in the life of a young man who must move from tragedy to triumph in the space of 5 days if he's to achieve his destiny, it's an inspirational novel it's currently untitled at the moment.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

To be honest because of some of my erotic writing I don't have a lot of support from my family members outside my immediate family, so my friends and readers on facebook are basically my family and my support system.

Do you see writing as a career?

Definitely I'm giving my all into this while I'm still young so that I have no regrets when I get older, I'm currently finishing up my law degree but my passion and what I see myself doing from now till the day I die is writing. I'm not naive in the sense that I expect to be fed with silver or gold spoons. I know it'll be a struggle but I'm prepared to go through the trials in order to get where I need to get to at the end of the day.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

Nope nothing really, I might have cut out some more of the sex scenes but the scenes aid in the plot of it though.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

I always loved to read growing up and I knew at some point I'd be drawn into writing, I was just a bit scared of it growing up, but I have huge ambitions and I knew to achieve them I'd have to get over my fear of writing.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Sure here's a poem from my upcoming inspirational anthology


Being More Than A Man Part II

The question is?

To be more than you were born with
Or born into

To be more than this world has pre-ordained for you

Be more than your predecessors
Be more than the words others have cast your way

Build yourself
Your name
Your principles
So that they are likened unto mountains
That they become pillars to time eternal

For when you are dead and gone
All that’ll be left is your name
And what it stood for

So be not confined to society’s prisons
Free your mind
And free yourself
And you will be more than a man
You will be an idea
An ideal that’ll influence others for generations to come
Be that and you will turn the knob to your own destiny
And walk through the door of your own immortality.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Probably it was in suspense writing in terms of developing a character without selling out a secret he's hiding.

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

Well so far my first novel was based in my country Trinidad and Tobago, but I do plane to definitely do some travelling when I write my other novels.

Who designed the covers?

I have a genius of a younger cousin who's 16 right now, he designs my covers and book trailers, his name is Dmitri Brereton

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

There wasn't anything hard about it except that it turned out to be much longer than I intended it to be I kept adding twists to it when I felt it might get a bit boring thus add to the suspense of it, but it was just the continuous typing (laughs)

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I think before I did my novel I flirted with different writing styles, but when I was writing I realised to be true to myself and my craft I needed to write completely in a poetic, melodious style and that's the style I'll adapt in all my future work.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

To get your dreams you have to be willing not to just bleed, but die for your belief, your work ethic must be driven by your passion to succeed or else you will fail. Protect your dreams and keep on persevering until one out of two things happen you die and meet your maker or you achieve what you set out to achieve.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Without you there would be no me, all the words of encouragement have helped fuel my appetite for the success I know I'll achieve. So an immense thanks goes out not to just the readers but everyone who helped fuel this desire inside of me, by sharing my work with friends putting me on to people in the field, everything has been truly appreciated by this young author and may God continue to richly bless each and every one of you and your families.



And here is where you can find him!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gclairmont

No comments:

Post a Comment